Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Little About Me

I have used this blog as a relatively anonymous outlet for my writing and views.  I haven't provided nearly any perspective on who I am, so I thought, why not provide some info about me.

I am a bit of a rambling 25-year old, with a degree in International Affairs and Chinese.  I lived in Boulder and went to school there for about 5 years, during which time I lived on and off in Buffalo, NY for summers, where I am from, and spent about 5 months in Shanghai, China studying abroad.  After gaining a serious distaste for the pollution and big business abuses there, I came home with a desire to shed the layers of hype and propaganda which brought me to China in the first place.  I bought into the "Chinese economic miracle" talk that we hear all the time in the states.  It's a facade and a degraded linguistic term to describe a seriously complex and troubling reality.  And it's not true.

I spent the fall of 2009 through the fall of 2011 living in Jackson Hole, pursuing a dream I had to live there since I was a young teen.  I worked a number of different customer service positions, a biodiesl shop, skied a lot, played music with a number of people, and ultimately spent quite a bit of time growing into my own person.  There was of course time wasted to the excesses of personal exploration (or destruction?), which I now have the chance to frequently reflect upon while I go through the application process for jobs in New York City.

I was a strict vegetarian, or pescetarian for the hair-splitters, for about two years starting in 2009.  In the past year I have become more of a flexitarian, allowing wild game and "good" meat into my diet on a very limited basis.  The meat industry has improved significantly in recent years, but the terrors of GMO's continue to threaten non-meat products.  I avoid GMOs like the plague and treat HFCS like a poison.  Anyway we look at the food industry, though, the supply chain is highly complex, inherently instable, and faces mounting problems of pollution, soil depletion, and Monsanto's demonic attempt to own and alter nature. 

I relocated to New York City just under a month ago, as a result of, say, falling in love and tiring of limited opportunities for x,y, and z in Jackson.  As things stand today, I am beginning to do work with a well-known media outlet and a small but reputable think tank.  I have high hopes for what these projects might lead me to and it feels like a natural progression for me to fall into these types of organizations, but the standard job search process only reinforces my antipathy for the apologists of globalization.  Youth unemployment is a serious challenge and I can't help but look at dichotomy between the entrenched, older establishment and the youth with an incredulous and growing impatience.  Some might respond with rebuttals about personal choice creating one's circumstances, but the structural unemployment problem is no isolated choice.  If the people in positions of power could only open their ears to people without Super PAC checkbooks, we might be in a different position.  But, so it goes.  The sirens lull the captains to shipwreck.

So, it is no surprise that real world issues concern me.  I would like to become involved in the resistance against this tide of disintegration and authoritarianism we are witnessing.  I guess watch for the NDAA to be invoked on American, watch for false flags to be blamed on Iran, and watch for the circling black swans to emerge before the 2012 sham-lection.

In the process of awakening to my habits and history, I have eradicated smoking weed, clamped down on drinking to keep it in moderation, and have been relying more on coffee, unfortunately.  I am trying to move in a more centered direction, one which does not rely on drugs for desired circumstances.  They are no way to achieve a solution to anything.

I have a small family who I love and am grateful for.  Without them, I wouldn't have gotten to where I am today.  They have been supportive of me, even despite my youthful rebelliousness.  I have to thank them for the patience, and with that need to learn to be more patient with them in this path toward greater understanding and 'betterness', which is full of ups and downs and regressions.  Like the peeling of an onion, there are many layers to the process I am undergoing and family is essential to the destination.  The pursuits of States will always be a threat to families, so we need to be thankful for the peace we have always.

Life is a matrix, an infinite amount of forms in the formlessness.  I don't know the answer to whether or not we have 'free will', or if we have 'chosen' to be in this life.  Either way, we are here, so let's try to enjoy it.  Peace and love, see you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment